[R] melting a data frame

Data Analytics Corp. walt at dataanalyticscorp.com
Sun Sep 8 05:33:09 CEST 2013

Hi,

Suppose I have a data frame with 189 columns.  The columns are actually
9 blocks of 21 columns each, each block representing measures on each of
9 products.  There are 130 rows.  Suppose I extract the first block of
21 columns and make them into a separate data frame.  I then want to
take the second block of 21 columns and rbind it to the first; then the
third set of 21 and rbind it to the first two; etc.  The final data
frame should have 1170 (= 9 * 130)  rows and 21 columns.  Is there an
easy way to melt the blocks comparable to using the melt function in the
plyr package (which is why I'm referring to what I want to do as
"melting")?  It seems that there should be a simple way to do this.  I
used a for loop which worked, but I want to see if there's a more
efficient way.

Thanks,

Walt

Walter R. Paczkowski, Ph.D.