[R] Problem with converting F to FALSE

arun smartpink111 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 5 14:56:10 CEST 2013

Hi,
Try:
dat1<-read.table(text="
sex  group
F       1
F       2
F       3
",sep="",header=TRUE,colClasses=c("character","numeric"))
 dat1
#  sex group
#1   F     1
#2   F     2
#3   F     3

#if you are using read.csv()
 dat2<-read.csv("new1.csv",sep="",header=TRUE,colClasses=c("character","numeric"))
 dat2
#  sex group
#1   F     1
#2   F     2
#3   F     3

#Suppose you want to convert after reading it:
 dat2New<-read.csv("new1.csv",sep="",header=TRUE)
 dat2New[,1]<-substr(dat2New[,1],1,1)
 dat2New
#  sex group
#1   F     1
#2   F     2
#3   F     3
A.K.

Hi,
I have a peculier problem in R-Project that is when my CSV file have one
column with all values as 'F' the R-Project converting this 'F' to FALSE.
Can some one please suggest how to stop this convertion. Because I want to
use 'F' in my calculations and show it in screen. for example my data is
like

sex  group
F       1
F       2
F       3

but when I use read.csv and load the csv file data is converting it to

sex          group
FALSE       1
FALSE       2
FALSE       3