[R] Placeholders for String Operations

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 17:52:09 CEST 2013

Hi Simon,

What you need are regular expressions.

The help for gsub says this, but in such a way that if you didn't know
that's what you were looking for, you wouldn't learn it there:

     See the help pages on regular expression for details of the
     different types of regular expressions.

The See Also section has a better clue:

     regular expression (aka ‘regexp’) for the details of the pattern
     specification.

?regexp has a fairly terse explanation. I'd look at some of the many
guides to regular expressions online, and use ?regexp mainly for how
the R implementation differs from standard (mostly in the use of \).
The help page does list all the groups, which is what you wanted.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org