[R] Stepwise selection with qAIC and qBIC

Xochitl CORMON Xochitl.Cormon at ifremer.fr
Wed Sep 4 11:11:59 CEST 2013

Here is a solution I applied using qAIC and package bbmle so I share it
for next ones. It is not really automatized as I need to read every
results of the drop() test an enter manually the less significant
variable but I guess a function can be created in this goal.

nullQ <- update (null, family = quasibinomial)
fullQ <- update (full, family = quasibinomial)

# backward manual selection #Zuur, 2010 p.227 ; Faraway, 2006 p.149
drop1(fullQ, test= "F")
modelQ1 <- update(fullQ, .~. - #Highest p_value (not significant)#)
drop1(modelQ1, test = "F")
modelQ2 <- update(modelQ1, .~. -#2nd Highest p_value (not significant)#)
drop1(modelQ2, test = "F")
modelQ3 <- update(modelQ2, .~. - # 3rd #)
drop1(modelQ3, test = "F")
modelQ4 <- update(modelQ3, .~. - # 4th #)
drop1(modelQ4, test = "F")
modelQ5 <- update(modelQ4, .~. - # 5th #)
drop1(modelQ5, test = "F")
modelQ6 <- update(modelQ5, .~. - # 6th #)
drop1(modelQ6, test = "F")

library(bbmle)

# overdispersion parameter calculated from the most complex model as the
sum of squares Pearson residuals divided by the number of degrees of
freedom # Burnham & Anderson, 2002, p.67

Qi2 <- sum(residuals(fullQ, type= "pearson")^2)
dfr <-  summary(fullQ)$df.residual
disp <- Qi2/dfr

full <- update(fullQ, family = binomial) # we need to retrieve the
loglikelihood so we use the "binomial model"
model1 <- update(modelQ1, family = binomial)
model2 <- update(modelQ2, family = binomial)
model3 <- update(modelQ3, family = binomial)
model4 <- update(modelQ4, family = binomial)
model5 <- update(modelQ5, family = binomial)
model6 <- update(modelQ6, family = binomial)

qAICtab <- ICtab (full, model1, model2, model3, model4, model5, model6,
dispersion = disp, type = "qAIC", base = TRUE) # we use the global
dispersion parameter as recommended in Burnham & Anderson, 2002

<>< <>< <>< <><

Xochitl CORMON
+33 (0)3 21 99 56 84

Doctorante en sciences halieutiques