[R] "Optimization fail" error from fitdistr (Weibull distribution)

kmmoon100 k.moon at student.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Oct 28 13:27:56 CET 2013

Hello everyone,

This is Kangmin.

I am trying to produce shape and scale of my wind data. My data is based on
wind speed frequency with 1km/hr increment. data is described below.

Windspeed (km/h)    Frequency
1 351
2 147
3 317
4 378
5 527
6 667
7 865
8 970
9 987
10 907
11 905
12 642
13 1000
14 983
15 847
16 842
17 757
18 698
19 632
20 626
21 599
22 529
23 325
24 391
25 356
26 267
27 230
28 223
29 190
30 142
31 124
32 104
33 97
34 37
35 62
36 46
37 42
38 24
39 9
40 13
41 9
42 5
43 2

R codes to calculate shape and scale are described below:

Pine.windfrequency.4weeks<-read.table("C:/Users/kmoon/Documents/Pine_frequency_4weeks.csv",header=TRUE,sep=",")
 fitdistr(Pine.windfrequency.4weeks$Frequency, densfun="weibull")

I have got an error message when I was using 'fitdistr' function

"Error in fitdistr(Pine.windfrequency.4weeks$Frequency, densfun = "weibull")
:
  optimization failed"

Please help me calculating shape and scale of weibull distribution.

And please understand that I am not an user familiar with R program but I am
really trying to make my analysis work on R!

Thank you!!!

Kangmin.