[R] How do I use simple calls to java methods?

Hurr hill0093 at umn.edu
Tue Oct 22 15:13:34 CEST 2013

I am surprised to not get a reply.
I suppose this means that extremely few, if any, use rJava.

rJava.pdf says this, but I am too stupid to interpret it:
Description
.jcall calls a Java method with the supplied arguments.
Usage
.jcall(obj, returnSig = "V", method, ..., evalArray = TRUE,
evalString = TRUE, check = TRUE, interface = "RcallMethod",
simplify = FALSE, use.true.class = FALSE)

Perhaps it means that to replace:
      calCk <- calStgOfLinTim(linTm,tlev)
and use something like:
      calCk <- .jcall(CalqsLin.class,returnSig = "S",
      calStgOfLinTim(linTm,tlev),evalArray=FALSE,
      evalString = TRUE, check = TRUE, interface = "RcallMethod",
      simplify = FALSE, use.true.class = TRUE)

I suppose there are other setup things to do,
like start the JVM (java Virtual machine)
and I don't know what obj means.

Anyway, if I am able to do these simple java method calls,
it will be a big plus to our data analysis lab to use R conveniently.

Please help