[R] nlminb() - how do I constrain the parameter vector properly?

Prof J C Nash (U30A) nashjc at uottawa.ca
Mon Oct 21 14:47:53 CEST 2013

This is one area where more internal communication between the objective
function (inadmissible inputs) and optimizer (e.g., Quasi-Newton) is
needed. This is NOT done at the moment in R, nor in most software. An
area for R&D. In Nash and Walker-Smith (1987) we did some of this in
BASIC back in mid-80s. Still trying to redo that for R, but it won't be
done quickly due to the much bigger infrastructure of R.

The "trick" with using a large value or Inf (which sometimes causes
other errors) usually slows the optimization, whereas communicating that
the objective is inadmissible in a line search can often be simply a
shortening of the step size.

JN