[R] nlminb() - how do I constrain the parameter vector properly?

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Mon Oct 21 03:41:44 CEST 2013

Do you mean that your objective function (given to nlminb) parameterized
a positive definite matrix, P, as the elements in its upper (or lower) triangle?
If so, you could reparameterize it by the non-zero (upper triangular) elements
of the Choleski decomposition, C, of P.  Compute P as crossprod(C), compute
the initial estimate of C as chol(P).

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com