[R] No P.values in polr summary

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Sun Oct 20 09:57:18 CEST 2013

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013, Tal Galili wrote:

> Vincent,
> I believe Prof. Ripley is referring to this:
> http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/MASS4/
>
> ----------------Contact
> Details:-------------------------------------------------------
> Contact me: Tal.Galili at gmail.com |
> Read me: www.talgalili.com (Hebrew) | www.biostatistics.co.il (Hebrew) |
> www.r-statistics.com (English)
>

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 3:22 PM, vincent guyader
> <vincent.guyader at gmail.com>wrote:

>> obtain
>> is
>>>>

>>> How are you going to calculate the P values?  Have you read the book for
>>> which this is support software?: it explains why such Wald tests are
>>> inappropriate and that the asymptotic theory can be wildly misleading.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> thanks for your answer.
>> to have the P.value I use this code :
>> http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/r/dae/ologit.htm
>>
>> pnorm(abs(ctable[, "t value"]), lower.tail = FALSE) * 2

A convenience option for computing this is the coeftest() method provided
in the "AER" package:

## data
library("foreign")
dat <- read.dta("http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/data/ologit.dta")

## model
library("MASS")
m <- polr(apply ~ pared + public + gpa, data = dat, Hess = TRUE)

## coefficient test
library("AER")
coeftest(m)

Checking out the discussion in MASS (the book) on the usefulness of these
p-values is nevertheless a good idea, of course.