[R] Constraint on regression parameters

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Thu Oct 17 12:22:30 CEST 2013

Leaving aside the question of fitting simple polynomial coefficients instead of orthogonal polynomials - generally frowned upon, but not always serious - the problem you describe is one in which you are not fitting C at all; you're assuming C adds exactly. What you're really fitting is the difference between A and C.

Try fitting
A-C ~ B + I(B^2) + I(lB^3)

to obtain the coefficients you're looking for. But be aware that you will still have a constant intercept, so the model you will have fitted is

A = b0 + b1.B +b2.B^2 +b3.B^3 + C + error

S Ellison