[R] project parallel help

Tue Oct 15 07:21:54 CEST 2013

The session info is helpful. To the best of my knowledge there is no easy way to share memory between R processes other than forking. You can use clusterExport to make "global" copies of large data structures in each process and pass index values to your function to reduce copy costs at a price of extra data copies in each process that won't be used. Or you can copy distinct blocks of data to each process and use single threaded processing to loop over the blocks within the workers to reduce the number of calls to workers. However I don't claim to be an expert with the parallel package, so others may have better advice.  However, with two cores I don't usually get better than a 30% speedup... the best payoff comes with four or more workers working.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing