[R] How do you add the x-bar (mean of x) symbol and show a calculated mean in the title of a histogram?

arun smartpink111 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 12 08:11:49 CEST 2013

Hi,
A slight modification would be:
hist(xxx,main=bquote("Heart Attack " ~ bar(x) == .(mean(xxx))))
#or use ?substitute()
hist(xxx,main=substitute("Heart Attack "~ bar(x) == mx,list(mx=mean(xxx))))

A.K.

On Saturday, October 12, 2013 1:26 AM, Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
On 10/12/13 11:39, Emily Jean Fales wrote:
> I am trying to get the calculated mean and the symbol of x-bar to show in
> the title of multiple histograms in R. Here is the code I have for one of
> the histograms:
>   hist(outcome[,11], main= "Heart Attack (expression(bar(x))) =
> (mean(outcome[,11]))", xlab ="30-day Death Rate", xlim = c(min(hist_min),
> max(hist_max)))
>
> but the symbol will not sow up in the title just the words I have typed
> do...I am not a programmer and new to R (obviously), so any help is
> appreciated!

You are being confronted with the mysteries of plotmath() which are
opaque to us
ordinary mortals.  My approach is to remember vaguely a few tricks and
then invoke
these tricks in a hammer-and-hope manner until something works.

For your problem the main trick is to use bquote() and the ".()"
function.  Oh, yeah.
And paste the literal bit, i.e. "Heart Attack" onto the mathematical
bit.  E.g.:

set.seed(42)
xxx <- rnorm(300,10,2)
hist(xxx,main=bquote(paste("Heart Attack  ", bar(x) == .(mean(xxx)))))

There are probably better ways.  And don't ask me for an explanation; it
just seems
to work.

HTH

     cheers,