[R] makeCluster help needed

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Thu Oct 10 13:52:42 CEST 2013

Jeffrey Flint wrote
> Good news. I installed 3.0.2, and the parallel package examples ran
> successfully.  This time a firewall window popped up.  Probably the
> firewall was the problem with the snow package too, but for some reason
> the
> window didn't pop up with the snow package.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion to use "parallel".  I noticed that the package
> is
> brand new!  Or, at least the pdf help was written 9/25/13.
>
> Jeff

One thing to watch for that hung me (and R :-) ) up for a while is: make
sure your .Rprofile doesn't have any commands which are valid only in
interactive sessions.  I had "loadhistory()" which caused the worker
Rscript.exe to fail.  Replacing that line in .Rprofile with
"if(interactive()) loadhistory() "  and all was well.