[R] trying to compile R in win 7 (with Rtools)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 5 09:57:38 CEST 2013

On 05/10/2013 02:02, Joshua Wiley wrote:
> Hi Cleber,
>
> You need to set TMPDIR to a valid directory, the default /tmp/ does not
> work on Windows.

May not work, more precisely.  Because package writers too often assume
it does, I created c:/tmp (my Windows box has only one drive).

And of course, this is in the 'if all else fails read the manual, but at
least do so before posting' category.  See the posting guide (footer of
this and every R-help message).

This is documented at the top of
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#Building-the-core-files
.