[R] Cannot read XPT file using foreign package

Dennis Fisher fisher at plessthan.com
Sat Oct 5 02:01:03 CEST 2013

Duncan

I looked at
	support.sas.com/techsup/technote/ts140.pdf
and it is a bit difficult to decipher.  I then replaced the string "^@" in the file contents with "!".  There is some concordance with he sample text shown in support.sas.com/techsup/technote/ts140.pdf but I don't know exactly how much concordance is expected.  The time stamp in the file is today so I assume that the file was created today.

You asked "why [I] think this is a file that follows the format" -- I did not make that assumption; I merely attempted to read an XPT file with read.xport and it failed.

Could there be an issue with the version of SAS (which appears to be 6.06) -- they are now up to version 9 (for Windows - I don't know the version # for UNIX).

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
Phone: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)