[R] time series has no or less than 2 periods

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Oct 3 21:57:14 CEST 2013

> > ts <- ts(data$QtyPerWeek, frequency=52)
> > HoltWinters(ts,0.46924,0.05,0.2)
> >
> > This results in the following error. "Error in decompose(ts(x[1L:wind], start = start(x),
> frequency = f), seasonal) : time series has no or less than 2 periods"

Since you have set the frequency of the time series to 52, you need
to have 104 observations to get the initial estimate of the seasonal
pattern.  How many observations are in 'ts'?  If you don't have enough
you can omit the seaonal component (HoltWinters(gamma=FALSE,...)),
change start.periods from the default 2 to 1, or supply a 52-long vector
of the initial seasonal pattern as the s.start argument.

If you do have more than 104 observations then you will have to tell
us more about the data.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com