[R] [sm.density.compare] scale up y-axis and additional line type

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Wed Oct 2 03:24:19 CEST 2013

On 10/02/2013 04:43 AM, Xianwen Chen wrote:
> Thanks Jim,
>
> The picture width is adjusted. That was great help! I really appreciate it.
>
> Does lwd mean 'line width'? I'm not exactly sure how that will help. Can
> you please explain the intuition behind it?

Yes, "lwd" refers to line width. The combination lty=3,lwd=3 should give
you a thick dotted line.

> Can I also ask another question? My graph is made from 7 plots from
> sm.density.compare(). These 7 plots are put together by:
>
> par(mfrow=c(4,2))
>
> To make all 7 plots comparable, I specify y- and x-axis ranges. Here is
> the sample code for one of the plots:
>
> sm.density.compare(
> c(sample_1, sample_2), # sample_1 and sample_2 are two vectors, each
> corresponding to a sample
> rep(1:2, rep(140, 2)),
> lty = c(1, 3),
> lwd = c(1, 3), # This change was made by taking your suggestion.
> col = c("black", "black"),
> xlab="Sample",
> xlim=c(-40, 60),
> ylim=c(0, 0.15)
> )
>
> legend("topright", c("MMNL", "GMNL"), lty = c(1, 3), cex = 1)
>
> Somehow, xlim and ylim do not have an effect. I did not have this
> problem when I was running R in Arch Linux; but now I'm using Debian Linux.

xlim and ylim seem to work correctly when I tried this:

sample_1<-runif(280,-20,40)
sample_2<-runif(280,0,0.1)

sm.density.compare(c(sample_1, sample_2),
             rep(1:2, rep(140, 2)),
             lty = c(1, 3),
             lwd = c(1, 3),
             col = c("black", "black"),
             xlab="Sample",
             xlim=c(-40, 60),
             ylim=c(0, 0.15)
     )

However, while the lty=3 worked correctly, the lwd=3 didn't. I think
that this function does not pass all of the graphics parameters to the
plot function - see the help page on sm.options.

Jim