[R] XLConnect readWorksheet comma decimal sign

Fri Nov 29 20:32:18 CET 2013

Please understand that this is a contributed package, and definitive assistance can only be provided by the package author. Type

maintainer("XLConnect")

for contact information, and read the package info at cran.r-project.org/web/packages/XLConnect/index.html. R-devel is unlikely to be a more appropriate forum either.

I avoid reading Excel files directly simply because I have lost interest in fighting these battles. When I need to read many Excel files I write a macro in Excel to export to CSV and work with sane data in R. Others seem to feel these libraries work well for them, but if they don't speak up then complaining at those who do speak up won't necessarily make them say anything.

You do need to understand that reading data in odd formats must often initially be done in character format so you can apply special format parsing functions to the data yourself. In the standard data input functions the colClasses parameter can be used to control this. However,  since I don't use XLConnect I cannot tell you whether that parameter applies to that library or not.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing