[R] XLConnect readWorksheet comma decimal sign

Knut Krueger rh at knut-krueger.de
Fri Nov 29 15:18:00 CET 2013

Am 25.11.2013 13:06, schrieb Knut Krueger:

>> how can I read exel files where the decimal sign is comma instead dot.
>> I get the data as ascii and when converting "3,5" with as.numeric
>> the  3,5 will be converted to NA

I think here is a major bug because no warning is genereated.
It is impossible to change  excel to dot decimal separator.
First reason it is unusual  in our (and I think also  other countries).
Lot of computers in the university are using decimal separator mostly
without R. The user would be  unable (or simply do not want) to use it
furthermore.

A question
does anybody know whether Rcmdr and XLConnect are using the same or
different ways to import Excel?
We found also that RCmdr is setting comma separated values to na if
there is an NA in the column.

Maybe it more useful to discuss this in the devel group?  (set the
follow up to DEVEL)

Knut