[R] Should there be an R-beginners list?

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Mon Nov 25 18:18:16 CET 2013

A couple things:
First,  "Beginners' lists" never work.  Beginners invariably can't read (cf.
posting guidelines), so they will post to the "main" list anyway.

Second, I see some people prefer to receive email-lists of the topics, and
others prefer to work via a webbrowser interface.  I'd have to say the
overwhelming popularity of StackExchange suggests the latter is a much
bigger group.  AFAIK it's possible to generate an RSS or possibly some sort
of pure e-mail feed from SO but I don't know for certain, but in any case,
the only question is whether r-help will die of lonliness.  Nobody is
suggesting it be shut down.

I'll also point out that it's much easier to filter SO (by topic and by
score) than r-help.

Carl, the DataMungerGuru-accolyte