[R] testing for bimodal and for dip in between modes in R

Simon Zehnder szehnder at uni-bonn.de
Mon Nov 25 12:31:22 CET 2013

Testing for bimodality is rather testing for unimodality. Hartigan and Hartigan (1985) presented the Dip-Test which is implemented in the R package DipTest with a much better approximation of the test distribution. If the test statistic is too high unimodality is rejected. To estimate the dip point you could choose among several possibilities: (1) A very easy method is to use the kmeans function for a kmeans cluster and use the point in the middle of the connecting line between the kmeans cluster centers. (2) You could estimate a finite mixture distribution and take the middle of the connecting line of the modes.

Best

Simon