[R] Should there be an R-beginners list?

memilanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 01:30:14 CET 2013

On 11/24/2013 12:04 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Nov 2013, Yihui Xie wrote:
>
>> Mailing lists are good for a smaller group of people, and especially
>> good when more focused on discussions on development (including bug
>> reports). The better place for questions is a web forum.
>
>    I disagree. Mail lists push messages to subscribers while web fora
> require
> one to use a browser, log in, then pull messages. Not nearly as convenient.
>
> Rich

With the StackOverflow model, you can either view the list of posts
related to a specific tag via RSS, or subscribe for email notification
of new updates on that topic.

Add in the added bonus of the ability to moderate and/or cull spam and
redundant questions, etc. and the targeted focus of a SO-type forum
increases dramatically IMHO.