[R] xyz-contour plot (irregular grid)

David Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Fri Nov 22 16:30:50 CET 2013

I'm not sure if there is a single function, but a quick script
would look something like this and would be easily adjusted

attach(mtcars)
mtcars.ls <- loess(mpg~wt*hp)
wtg <- seq(min(wt), max(wt), length.out=50)
hpg <- seq(min(hp), max(hp), length.out=50)
grid <- expand.grid(wt=wtg, hp=hpg)
mpg.fit <- predict(mtcars.ls, grid)
contour(wtg, hpg, mpg.fit, xlab="Weight (1,000 lbs)",
  ylab="Horsepower")
points(wt, hp, pch=20)

David L Carlson
Department of Anthropology