[R] R for a stats intro for undergrads in the US?

jlh.membership jlh.membership at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 02:22:34 CET 2013

Googling "R for psychology students" I found this:
http://health.adelaide.edu.au/psychology/ccs/docs/lsr/lsr-0.3.pdf

and this:
https://personality-project.org/r/

The latter has links to many short courses and tutorials.

If you do end up using R, I find the following sites extremely helpful:
Quick-R <http://www.statmethods.net/> : (http://www.statmethods.net/)has a very intuitive layout with lots of really helpful
examples.
Cookbook for R <http://www.cookbook-r.com/> : (http://www.cookbook-r.com/) is organized around showing you how to do specific
things.

Know that R is a command driven language, so no "point and click" really - you have to learn the commands which does make for a
learning curve. Still, most basic statistics and a lot of not so basic statistics can be generated with just a few commands. I would
also recommend having students install R-studio <http://www.rstudio.com/>  (http://www.rstudio.com/) in addition to R (there's
controversy about this - many people hate R-Studio). I find it very helpful in organizing work sessions, inspecting datasets,
locating files, etc.

Good luck with it.