[R] variable standardization in manova() call

Sergio Fonda sergio.fonda99 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 18:19:56 CET 2013

 thank you for your reply.
However, your remark was not so clear to me
so I attach a short script I tried to launch. The comparison between
results got from MANOVA() call with the non-standardized and
standardized version of the same data frame, convinced me that it is
not necessary to standardize data before calling MANOVA. The only
difference you get is in the residuals values, of course.
Could you kindly confirm my conclusion?

All the best,
Sergio Fonda
______________________
set.seed(1234)
# non- standardized series
x1 =  rnorm(n=10, mean=50, sd=11)
x2 =  rnorm(n=10, mean=93, sd=23)
x1 =  rnorm(n=10, mean=217, sd=52)
fact= rep(1:2,20)
glob1=data.frame(cbind(x1,x2,x3,fact))
fitta1=manova(cbind(x1,x2,x3)~fact, data=glob1)
fitta1.wilks=summary(fitta1, test="Wilks")
summary.aov(fitta1)

#after standardization
x.stand=scale(glob1[,-4])
glob2=data.frame(x.stand,fact)
fitta2=manova(cbind(x1,x2,x3)~fact, data=glob2)
fitta2.wilks=summary(fitta2, test="Wilks")
summary.aov(fitta2)