[R] issues with calling predict.coxph.penal (survival) inside a function

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Thu Nov 14 16:30:52 CET 2013

Thanks for the reproducable example.  I can confirm that it fails on my machine using
survival 2-37.5, the next soon-to-be-released version,

The issue is with NextMethod, and my assumption that the called routine inherited
everything from the parent, including the environment chain.  A simple test this AM showed
me that the assumption is false.  It might have been true for Splus.  Working this out may
take some time -- every other one of my wrestling matches with predict inside a function
has -- and there is a reasonable chance that it won't make this already overdue release.

In the meantime, here is a workaround that I have sometimes used in other situations.
Inside your function do the following: fit a new coxph model with fixed coefficients, and
do prediction on that.

myfun <- function(oldfit, subset) {
    newX <- model.matrix(oldfit)[subset,]
    newY <- oldfit$y[subset]
    newfit <- coxph(newY ~ newX, iter=0, init=coef(oldfit))
    newfit$var <- oldfit$var
    predict(newfit)
    }

If the subset is all of a particular strata, as you indicated, then all of the predictions
will be correct.  If not, then those that make use of the the baseline hazard (type=
expect) will be incorrect but all others are ok.

Terry Therneau