[R] R Beginner - Need Perhaps 5 - 10 Minutes of R User Time to Learn Few Basics

John Kane jrkrideau at inbox.com
Thu Nov 14 16:00:00 CET 2013

This is not an R question per se.  It really seems like an RStudio question.  They have their own help forum and it is probably best to ask there.

My first thought was that you had just closed the output window in RStudio but in my version, 0.97.449 under Ubuntu 13.10 the window automatically opens when you send a command to R.

You have not said what operating system you are using. If in Windows, IIRC, you can just open an RGui or RTerminal and work there.  Just open the script in a text editor and paste it (preferably line-by-line) and see what happens.  Actually just type in something like 1 + 1 and see what happens

In Linux open a terminal window, start R and do the same. No idea about Macs

This way you will get an idea if the R installation or the RStudio installation is likely the culprit.

It sounds like a faulty RStudio installation to me but who knows. An RStudio session should look more or less like this http://www.rstudio.com/ide/ . If you don't have those four panels then you have an RStudio problem.

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada