[R] power analysis is applicable or not

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Nov 13 07:46:09 CET 2013

On Nov 12, 2013, at 7:42 PM, array chip wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
>
> The reviewer used the heterogeneity that I observed in my study for the power analysis. I understand what you have descried. And I agree that with the sample size I have, I do not have enough power to detect the heterogeneity that I observed with significance.

You said that: "Now one of the reviewers for the manuscript did a powering analysis for Mantel Haneszel test showing that with the sample sizes I have, the power for Mantel Haeszel test was only 50%. So he argued that I did not have enough power for Mantel Haenszel test."

This is rather interesting in its own right. Generally if you find that the p-value is 0.05 then you are exactly at the point where the post-hoc power (the power calculated on the basis of the observed differences and variances)  will be 0.50. In other words if you are right at the tipping point then a small perturbation in the data will tip you either way. And yet you said the p value was > 0.05 (although you didn't say how much greater.)  So I would say your power was certainly less and possibly materially less than 0.50. (This is dodging the question of power to detect exactly "what?". So far we have neither a discssion of the underlying scientific question nor any specifics.)

> But if let's say I have enough sample size as calculated by the power analysis, then I will have 80% power to detect the heterogeneity, would it be true that I will almost very unlikely to declare homogeneity among study sites, so that I would almost never be able to combine study sites?

(That was incoherent.)

> This goes to the general thinking that if you have a sample size large enough, you will always be able to make any difference statistically significant...
>
> On the the hand, making a statistical inference using any statistical test (including Mantel Haenszel test), I though, is always valid regardless of sample size.

That is just wrong.

> For the heterogeneity test, I am just doing that -- making a statistical inference with the p value from Mantel Haenszel test.  I am not sure if it is correct that it is mandatory to perform a power analysis before attempting a statistical test.

The question is whether you are justified in ignoring (or leaving out of the analysis) covariates that you thought a priori had a good chance of confounding the relationship of the predictors of interest on the outcome of interest. It appears that you have insufficient such justication. (And some statsiticians of excelletn repute would say you never have justification to do so regardless of any testing.)

--
David.