[R] Questions about R

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Nov 6 18:58:02 CET 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Ye Lin <yelin at lbl.gov> wrote:
> You can get details at http://www.r-project.org/
>
> But to answer your question: Yes it is free

 But there is also a paid version. Send me $1000 and I will send you R
on a USB stick, complete with all the source code.

 Seriously, other companies do supply support and extensions for R at
a cost, and although I can legally sell you a copy of R for $1000
nobody bothers charging for R because the license can't stop you
giving your copy away.

 As for your security/data safety question, well your operating system
is probably the weaker link in that chain. However if you are running
R in a client-server fashion then you should make sure the data is
encrypted - and then the weakest link is possession of the private
half of the encryption key, which is your responsibility.

Barry