[R] Post-fit survival curve for shared frailty model

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri May 31 19:07:57 CEST 2013

On May 31, 2013, at 6:01 AM, Ulf Sandvik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have fitted a shared frailty model using coxph in the survival
> package with 'center' as random effect. Now I'm trying to obtain the
> conditional survival curve for a new test case that comes from one of
> the specified centers in the model.
>
> The data set on which the model is fitted contains 1000 individuals
> coming from 10 different centers, with 100 individuals in each center.
>
> The fitted model has the following form:
>
> model.frail = coxph(Surv(time,status) ~ x1 + frailty(center), data = d)

As I read the cited note below, this should have been:

 model.frail = coxph(Surv(time,status) ~ x1 + frailty(center, sparse=200), data = d)

(Where 200 is arbitrary but larger than the 10 unique values. It's described in ?frailty. Looking at the code I think it gets passed to 'frailty.gamma' in the default case.)

(There is a note on the ?frailty page: "The coxme package has superseded this method. It is faster, more stable, and more flexible.")

--
David.