[R] date and time coding question

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Thu May 16 17:22:40 CEST 2013

The difftime() function has a units argument, so it seems kind of obvious
to me to think of objects of class 'difftime' as having units. And indeed
they do, stored as an attribute:

> str(difftime( Sys.time()+3700, Sys.time(), units='min'))
Class 'difftime'  atomic [1:1] 61.7
  ..- attr(*, "units")= chr "mins"

> str(difftime( Sys.time()+3700, Sys.time(), units='sec'))
Class 'difftime'  atomic [1:1] 3700
  ..- attr(*, "units")= chr "secs"

The numeric values are already in the specified units, prior to any
printing or other further use of the result.

?difftime says,

-quote-
If 'units = "auto"', a suitable set of units is chosen, the
largest possible (excluding '"weeks"') in which all the absolute
differences are greater than one.

-end quote-

So it's pretty clear that the units are chosen when the difference is
calculated, not later. Inspection of the difftime() function source code
confirms this. One can also inspect print.difftime() and see that the
numeric value is used as is, without any unit conversion.

Which returns me to my original point: when using diff() on a POSIXt
object, I don't know how to specify the units, whereas with difftime() I
do. If there is a way to specify units using diff(), I'd love to know
about it!

-Don

--
Don MacQueen