[R] Matching names with non-English characters

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon May 13 18:58:32 CEST 2013

On 13/05/2013 12:05 PM, Spencer Graves wrote:
> Hello:
>

>         How can one match names containing non-English characters that
> appear differently in different but related data files?  For example, I
> have data on Raúl Grijalva, who represents the third district of Arizona
> in the US House of Representatives.  This first name appears as "Raúl"
> in data read from one file and "Raul" from another.
>

>         The ideal would convert both "Raúl" and "Raúl" to "Raul".

You shouldn't have both "Raúl" and "Raúl" in the same file.  They are
different encodings for the same characters.  (The first looks like
UTF-8, the second is your native encoding, presumably the Windows
Latin-1 variant, CP-1252.  So your first problem is to identify the
encodings of your input files, and read them all in to a common
encoding.  Converting them to UTF-8 in R makes the most sense, because
it includes the characters from all other encodings you're ever likely
to see.

Having both "Raúl" and "Raul" in the same file is a different issue.
The second one is an error or a variant spelling.  In this case, you can
use

iconv("Raúl", to="ASCII//TRANSLIT")

on most platforms to find an ASCII approximation.  (This works on my
Windows system; your mileage may vary.)    As Jeff said, this is an
impossible problem in general, so you may well need some manual fixups
at the end.

Duncan Murdoch