[R] Distributing R byte code

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat May 11 01:09:08 CEST 2013

On 13-05-10 1:21 PM, Paul A. Steckler wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I've used R just a little bit, and I couldn't find an answer to my
> questions via Web search.
>
>    I'm aware of Luke Tierney's byte code compiler for R, and the
> compile package, and I have some questions about its use. I want to
> take some R code, create byte code for it, and distribute it, rather
> than the original R source.

R is open source, and encourages its users to distribute their code
openly.  If you're not willing to do that, then you're not going to get
a lot of help.  Why be a parasite?

>    - Is there a way to generate bytecodes from the (shell) command
> line, or do I need to start an R session? I'd like to automate
> generating byte code.

Yes, you can do anything from a shell that you do in a console, using
Rscript.

>    - Are the generated byte codes restricted to use for a particular
> version of R?

I would only assume they'll work in the current version, though you
might get lucky.

>    - I'd appreciate any advice about using loadcmp, like what
> environment argument to use.

RTFM.

Duncan Murdoch