[R] Error running caret's gbm train function with new version of caret

Max Kuhn mxkuhn at gmail.com
Mon May 6 16:19:48 CEST 2013

Katrina,

I made some changes to accomidate gbm's new feature for 3+ categories,
then had to "harmonize" how gbm and caret work together.

I have a new version of caret that is not released yet (maybe within a
month), but you should get it from:

   install.packages("caret", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")

You may also need to ungrade gbm. That package page is:

   https://code.google.com/p/gradientboostedmodels/downloads/list

Let me know if you have any issues.

Max

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Katrina Bennett <kebennett at alaska.edu> wrote:
> I am running caret for model exploration. I developed my code a number of
> months ago and I've been running it with no issues. Recently, I updated my
> version of caret however, and now I am getting a new error. I'm wondering
> if this is due to the new release.
>
> The error I am getting is when I am running GBM.
>
>         print(paste("calculating GBM for", i))
>         #gbm runs over and over again
>         set.seed(1)
>         trainModelGBM <- train(trainClass3, trainAsym, "gbm", metric="RMSE",
>                             tuneLength = 5, trControl = con)
>
> The error I am getting is at the end of the run once all the iterations
> have been processed:
> Error in { :
>   task 1 failed - "arguments imply differing number of rows: 5, 121"
>
> trainClass3 and trainAsym have 311 values in them. I'm using 5 variables in
> my matrix. I'm not sure where the 117 is coming from.
>
> I found solutions online that suggested that updated the version of glmnet,
> Matrix and doing something with cv.folds would work. None of these
> solutions have worked for me.
>
> Here is my R session info.
>
> R version 2.15.1 (2012-06-22)
> Platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)
>
> caret version 5.15-61
>
> Thank you,
>
> Katrina

Max