[R] Vector allocation problem while trying to plot 6 MB data file

Ramon Hofer hoferr at ee.ethz.ch
Thu May 2 14:37:07 CEST 2013

Hi all

I'm trying to analyse the network speed and used iperf to create a csv
file containing the link test data. It's only about 6 MB big but
contains about 40'000 samples.

I can do boxplots (apart from printing the number of samples but I ask
separately for that).

To find the behaviour over time I wanted to plot the throuphput. So I
have this command:

plot(A$Timestamp, A$Bandwidth.bit.sec., xlab = "Timestamp", ylab =
"Bandwidth [bit/s]", ylim = quantile(A$Bandwidth.bit.sec., c(0, .99),
na.rm = TRUE))

Unfortunately I get this:
Error: cannot allocate vector of size 12.5 Gb

Is there a way around this problem or will I have to split the data?

Best
Ramon