[R] How to search in each excel in my working dir and extract part information of one product in each country?

John Kane jrkrideau at inbox.com
Thu Mar 28 15:00:27 CET 2013

Why?

>each excel file
> contain one country's data. In the excel, I have dataframe in sheet1,
> where each product  and its relative information is
> in each row as following:
>
> Product    PE    Retail_price_Band Country Model_Fit
>  A              -2.5         0-50                       CN
> 84%
>  B              -2.1         51-100                   CN            90%
>

> not every product presents in each country, in other words, they may have
> common products or not.
> How do I create program in R to search each excel file in my working dir
> in order to make the list of the such product for each
> country based on my input(for example, I want to have all information
> related to product B in each country)
> the result what I want:
>

> Product    PE    Retail_price_Band Country Model_Fit
>  B             -2.4         51-100                    IN             80%
>  B             -2.1         51-100                   CN            90%
>

> How do I achieve this? thanks.
>
> Kind regards,
> Lingyi

If you are doing the original analyses in R why not just run them put the results for the countries in a list.  Then just convert the list to a data.frame and subset.

Quick and dirty example.

md1  <-  data.frame(aa = 1:10, b = letters[1:5])
 md2  <-  data.frame(aa = 11:20, b = letters[6:10])

  mlist  <-  list(md1,md2)

  dd1  <-  do.call(rbind.data.frame, mlist)