[R] Feed rle() output to hist()

Newbie1234 larry at riskengineer.com
Tue Mar 26 22:02:33 CET 2013

I want to make a histogram from the lengths vector which is part of the
output of rle.  But I don't know how to access that vector so that I use it
as an argument of hist().  What argument must I use so that I use the
lengths vector as an input to hist()?

Example output is:

Run Length Encoding
  lengths: int [1:4] 1 2 3 3
  values : num [1:4] -1 1 -1 1

A printout of the function rle() may give some clues, however - not enough
for me.  Here is the print out of rle()

> rle
function (x)
{
    if (!is.vector(x) && !is.list(x))
        stop("'x' must be an atomic vector")
    n <- length(x)
    if (n == 0L)
        return(structure(list(lengths = integer(), values = x),
            class = "rle"))
    y <- x[-1L] != x[-n]
    i <- c(which(y | is.na(y)), n)
    structure(list(lengths = diff(c(0L, i)), values = x[i]),
        class = "rle")
}
<bytecode: 0x7fc7060a52d8>
<environment: namespace:base>