[R] Revolutions blog: February roundup

David Smith david at revolutionanalytics.com
Tue Mar 12 17:32:24 CET 2013

I write about R every weekday at the Revolutions blog:
 http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com
and every month I post a summary of articles from the previous month
of particular interest to readers of r-help.

In case you missed them, here are some articles related to R from the
month of February:

How to resample from a large data set with RHadoop, and a video
introduction to the RHadoop packages: http://bit.ly/13RgWfH

A 90-second video explains: What is Revolution R Enterprise?
http://bit.ly/13RgWfG

Jeffrey Stanton has published a free e-book "An Introduction to Data
Science" using R: http://bit.ly/13RgUnO

Recent media articles (including Forbes and InformationWeek) with
mention of R and Revolution Analytics: http://bit.ly/13RgWfI

Quandl, a source for free time series data, is introduced by its
founder: http://bit.ly/13RgUnP . An R package is available:
http://bit.ly/13RgWfJ

I gave a presentation at the Strata conference on real-time predictive
analytics on big data with R: http://bit.ly/13RgUnT

The PitchRx package generates animations of baseball data: http://bit.ly/13RgUnS

Three ways of connecting Hadoop and R: http://bit.ly/13RgUnQ

The yhat blog lists 10 R packages that everyone should know about:
http://bit.ly/13RgUnR

Joseph Rickert's "Data Mining with R" presentation, slides and R code:
http://bit.ly/13RgUnU

How to make a Valentine's Day heart with polar functions and R:
http://bit.ly/13RgUnV

A book review of Winston Chang's "R Graphics Cookbook": http://bit.ly/13RgUnW

I participated in a Google Hangout to discuss predictive analytics,
Hadoop and R: http://bit.ly/13RgU7B

Why you shouldn't use Excel to build complex correlation models, and
how it was involved in the downfall of the London Whale:
http://bit.ly/13RgWvW

Follow @StackOverflowR on Twitter to be informed of new R questions on
StackOverflow: http://bit.ly/13RgUnX

How to analyze web traffic data from Google Analytics with R:
http://bit.ly/13RgUnY

The devtools package makes the process of building R packages easier:
http://bit.ly/13RgUnZ

New ways of visualizing networks and graphs with R: arc diagrams and
hive plots: http://bit.ly/13RgWvX

Carlos Scheidegger and Kenny Shirley used R to design an interactive
visualization of Baseball Hall of Fame votes over the past 80 years:
http://bit.ly/13RgUo2

Some non-R stories in the past month included: Juggling quadrocopters
(http://bit.ly/13RgWvZ), Russian meteor videos
(http://bit.ly/13RgUo3), a talking piano (http://bit.ly/13RgWw0),
Forrester's emerging technologies for Big Data (http://bit.ly/13RgWvY)
and a geographic jigsaw puzzle based on the Mercator projection
(http://bit.ly/13RgWw1).

Meeting times for local R user groups (http://bit.ly/eC5YQe) can be
found on the updated R Community Calendar at: http://bit.ly/bb3naW

If you're looking for more articles about R, you can find summaries
from previous months at http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/roundups/.
Join the Revolution mailing list at
http://revolutionanalytics.com/newsletter to be alerted to new
articles on a monthly basis.

As always, thanks for the comments and please keep sending suggestions
to me at david at revolutionanalytics.com . Don't forget you can also
follow the blog using an RSS reader like Google Reader, or by
following me on Twitter (I'm @revodavid).

Cheers,
# David

--