[R] EEG data for time series

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon Mar 11 00:48:39 CET 2013

Ben:

 My recollection is that it was an answer to a question he received
from the audience at a (JSM? Gordon Conference? Other ...?)
presentation.  For obvious reasons, it stuck with me, but I can't do
better than that. I'm pretty sure it was in the mid to late 1990's
when John Tukey was still alive, because I remember thinking about
George's reply in light of Tukey's pioneering efforts to raise the
profile of statistical graphics, which had fallen into relative
disfavor during the 1960's - 1980's first wave of statistical software
development (contrary views welcome!).  Tukey's work and hi-res
graphics software changed all that of course!

BTW, another favorite Box quote, which I know I heard in a class from
him in the 70's at U of W  (he may have said/written it elsewhere,
too) that deserves to be remembered was:

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific
learning process."

Best,
Bert