[R] Understanding lm-based analysis of fractional factorial experiments

Peter Claussen dakotajudo at me.com
Fri Mar 8 01:16:21 CET 2013

On Mar 7, 2013, at 4:47 AM, Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjekje at ifi.uio.no> wrote:

> On Wednesday 6. March 2013 16.33.34 Peter Claussen wrote:
>> But you don't have enough data points to estimate all of the possible
>> interactions; that's why you have NA in your original results.
>
> Yes, but it seems to me that lm is doing the right thing, or at least the
> expected thing, here, the NA's are simply telling me these are aliased, which
> is correct and expected.

I ran across the text you reference while looking up a couple other references yesterday; having read the appropriate section I can better understand your questions.

I would say in this case that what R is doing is expected, but not necessarily correct, for this problem.

The authors go into some detail about aliasing treatments, and that there are different choices for aliasing. I didn't have my computer handy, but does R choose the same set of aliases as the authors?

Peter