[R] R broken after upgrade to 2.15.3 (Ubuntu 12.10, 64bit)

Ulrich Bodenhofer bodenhofer at bioinf.jku.at
Mon Mar 4 15:56:02 CET 2013

Hi,

I am using R on Ubuntu 12.10 (64bit). This morning, Ubuntu's software
updater automatically installed updates to R's base system (version
2.15.3; via the CRAN PPA). Now R does not work anymore. Here is what I
get when I simply enter "R" on the shell prompt:

bodenhof FUKUOKA~>R
cannot find system Renviron
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'utils', details:
call: options(op.utils[toset])
error: invalid value for 'editor'

R version 2.15.3 (2013-03-01) -- "Security Blanket"
Copyright (C) 2013 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'utils', details:
call: options(op.utils[toset])
error: invalid value for 'editor'
In addition: Warning message:
package "methods" in options("defaultPackages") was not found
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'utils', details:
call: options(op.utils[toset])
error: invalid value for 'editor'
In addition: Warning message:
package ‘utils’ in options("defaultPackages") was not found
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'utils', details:
call: options(op.utils[toset])
error: invalid value for 'editor'
In addition: Warning message:
package ‘stats’ in options("defaultPackages") was not found
During startup - Warning message:
package ‘methods’ in options("defaultPackages") was not found

Basic operations work, but the help system is defunct and no add-on
packages can be loaded. It seems that the utils package is missing or
cannot be loaded (for a reason that is specified, but which I do not
understand). There seems to be a fundamental problem. Any ideas what is
wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Ulrich