[R] Kolmogorov-Smirnov: calculate p value given as input the test statistic

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 3 16:56:43 CET 2013

On 03/03/2013 09:58, Rani Elkon wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> I calculate the test statistic for the KS test outside R, and wish to use R
> only to calculate the corresponding p-value.

There is no public way to do this in R.  But you can read the code of
ks.test and see how it does it, and extract the code you need.

Note that ks.test covers several cases and hence has several branches of
code to compute p values.  Also (and this is one good reason why there
is no a public interface), the internal code differs by version of R (so
another answer I have just seen is wrong for pre-3.0.0).

> Is there a way for doing this? (as far as I see,  ks.test() requires raw
> data as input). Alternatively, is there a way to provide the ks.test() the
> two CDFs (two samples test) rather than the (x, y) data vectors?

Yes, because if you have the CDF you can recover the sorted data vector
which is all you need.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk