[R] interactive visualizations - anyone use SVGAnnotation?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Mar 1 19:21:02 CET 2013

On 3/1/2013 9:12 AM, Joseph Clark wrote:

> Hi all:I found some great demonstrations of interactive presentation graphics generated in R with the SVGAnnotation package, here:http://www.omegahat.org/SVGAnnotation/http://www.omegahat.org/SVGAnnotation/SVGAnnotationPaper/SVGAnnotationPaper.htmlI tried to install the package available at that website (it's not on CRAN) and am getting some pretty uninformative errors (see below).  My best guess is that the package worked under an earlier version of R but is broken now.  Do any of you use this package for interactive presentation graphics?  Or, what are some good alternative libraries?  I've played around a bit with 'iplots' and RStudio's 'manipulate' library, but those are really geared for exploratory analysis.  I'm looking for something geared toward presentation, for example, on a web page.  A good "hello,world" I want to accomplish would be a time series with 2 or more line graphs that the viewer can choose between with radio buttons or checkboxes.Thanks in advance! T
 he erro
r I get when trying to install SVGAnnotation from the file: > install.packages("SVGAnnotation_0.93-1.tar.gz",repos=NULL)
> Warning in install.packages :
>    package ‘SVGAnnotation_0.93-1.tar.gz’ is not available (for R version 2.15.1)
> Installing package(s) into ‘C:/Program Files/R/R-2.15.1/library’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> Warning in install.packages :
>    error 1 in extracting from zip file
> Warning in install.packages :
>    cannot open compressed file 'SVGAnnotation_0.93-1.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION', probable reason 'No such file or directory'
> Error in install.packages : cannot open the connection

Hi Joseph --

likely you will be able to install with

   install.packages("path/to/SVGAnnotation_0.93-1.tar.gz", repos=NULL,
type="source")

I've enjoyed using this package for producing heatmaps that can be moused over
and display information about underlying row / column values.

Martin

> // joseph w. clark , phd , visiting research associate
> \\ university of nebraska at omaha - college of IS&T
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Dr. Martin Morgan, PhD
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
1100 Fairview Ave. N.