[R] find closest value in a vector based on another vector values

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Jun 18 16:07:04 CEST 2013

Jorge: No.

> a <-c(1,5,8,15,32,33.5,69)
> b <-c(8.5,33)
> a[findInterval(b, a)]
[1]  8 32  ##should be  8   33.5

I believe it has to be done explicitly by finding all the differences
and choosing those n with minimum values, depending on what n you
want.

Note that the problem is incompletely specified. What if the same
value of a is closest to several values of b? -- do you want all the
values you choose to be different or not, in which case they may not
be minimum?

a <- c(1, 8, 9)
b <- c(2,3)

Then what are the 2 closest values of a to b?

-- Bert