[R] Installing package(s) into ... (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 19:35:50 CEST 2013

On 13/06/2013 1:26 PM, Raffaello Vardavas wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> this may be a trivial problem. A collaborator has created an R package for internal use (not available on CRAN). This installs and works fine on my Mac but fails to install on windows.
>

> When I install the packagein windows by browing and pointing to the .zip file I get the following error:
>

> > install.packages("C:/Users/rvardava/RiskPerceptionNetworks/Tools/nirm/nirm.tags/nirm_0.6.5.zip", repos = NULL)
> Installing package(s) into ‘C:/Program Files/R/R-2.15.3/library’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> > install.packages("C:/Users/rvardava/RiskPerceptionNetworks/Tools/nirm/nirm.tags/nirm_0.6.4.zip", repos = NULL)
> Installing package(s) into ‘C:/Program Files/R/R-2.15.3/library’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)

Those are not errors, they are just notes to let you know where it was
installed.

> However if I install a package from CRAN (e.g. deSolve) the same warning appears initially - but it continues and installs the package with no problems:
>

> > install.packages("deSolve")
> Installing package(s) into ‘C:/Program Files/R/R-2.15.3/library’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> trying URL 'http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.15/deSolve_1.10-6.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 2659517 bytes (2.5 Mb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 2.5 Mb
>
> package ‘deSolve’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>
> The downloaded binary packages are in
>   C:\Users\rvardava\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpO8Ul1g\downloaded_packages

You haven't shown us any error, but if the package doesn't work, it
might be because it wasn't built properly.  A .zip file that works on a
Mac is unlikely to also work on Windows:  Windows uses the .zip
extension for *binary* installs.

Duncan Murdoch