[R] survreg with measurement uncertainties

Andrews, Chris chrisaa at med.umich.edu
Thu Jun 13 14:46:26 CEST 2013

It seems a line through the origin doesn't fit the data very well.  That may be throwing off the fitting routine.

data = c(144.53, 1687.68, 5397.91)
err = c(8.32, 471.22, 796.67)
model = c(71.60, 859.23, 1699.19)
id = c(1, 2, 3)

# display
plot(data ~ model)
library("Hmisc")
errbar(model, add=TRUE, y = data, yplus= data+err, yminus=data-err, errbar.col=2)
abline(lm(data ~ model - 1))
abline(lm(data ~ model - 1, weights = 1/err^2), col=2)

Making err[1] larger, allows convergence:

err[1] <- 80.32

survreg(Surv(time = data)~model-1+cluster(id), weights=1/(err^2), dist='gaussian', init=c(2.1))

Call:
survreg(formula = Surv(time = data) ~ model - 1 + cluster(id),
    weights = 1/(err^2), dist = "gaussian", init = c(2.1))

Coefficients:
 model
2.6055

Scale= 139.299

Loglik(model)= 0   Loglik(intercept only)= 0
n= 3

And this matches the standard linear model call:

lm(data ~ model - 1, weights = 1/err^2)

Call:
lm(formula = data ~ model - 1, weights = 1/err^2)

Coefficients:
model
2.606