[R] Post hoc power analysis for mixed-effects models

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Jun 5 13:10:45 CEST 2013

On Jun 4, 2013, at 4:46 PM, Kota Hattori wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have been searching ways to run power analysis for mixed-effects
> models. However, I have not been successful
> in the research. Today I would like to ask your help. As long as I
> see from my search, Martin Julien wrote a package
> called pamm for the power analysis. One of the limitations in the
> current version is that pamm cannot handle
> categorical fixed variables. Todd Jobes introduced his script to run
> power analysis for mixed-effects models
> (http://toddjobe.blogspot.co.nz/2009/09/power-analysis-for-mixed-effect-models.html
> ). However, some parts of
> the script is beyond my knowledge. I am not sure if I can run power
> analysis with categorical variables either. Is there
> anybody who has run post hoc power analysis for mixed-effects
> models? If you have experiences, I would like to
> ask your help. Thank you very much for taking your time.

Can you provide a sensible justification for "post hoc power analysis?
I know the terminology has crept into widespread use due to its
existence in either SAS or SPSS (I forget which), but I have doubts
about its validity. It mixes up the order of statistical testing
logic. Power analysis is something done _before_ the study. If a
statistical procedure is done after a study's data is collected with
the very dubious assumption that the sample statistics are the
population statistics, it's not a power analysis.

--
David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA