[R] Mixed effects model with a phylogenetic tree/ distance matrix as a random effect

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 22:22:45 CEST 2013

  Seconded.  Alternatively you could try the r-sig-phylo at r-project.org
mailing list, although I think I would try R-s-m-m first.

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Roey Angel
>   <angel <at> mpi-marburg.mpg.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to build a mixed-effects model in which I'd like to include
> > either a distance matrix or a phylogenetic tree as a random effect.
> > The troubles I've had are that:
> > 1. Function lmer() in package lme4 only accepts a data frame column
> as a
> > random factor and not a distance matrix.

  This is not going to change in the near future, although
there is a 'pedigreemm' package built on lme4 that
might do what you want.

  You might be able to use MASS::glmmPQL in conjunction with
the corStruct structures from nlme (for classical geostatistical
correlation models); ape (for phylogenetic models); or ramps (other
choices).

  INLA might ??? allow tree correlation structures:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.4908

  Ives and Garland have some MATLAB code for phylogenetic
logistic regression ...