[R] Strange behaviour of R graphics copied to PowerPoint

Steve Simon, P.Mean Consulting mail at pmean.com
Mon Jun 3 19:37:17 CEST 2013

As I understand it, there are multiple competing standards for the Windows
Metafile (WMF) format. See
--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Metafile

I like WMF because it is vector based and thus scales nicely. But eventually
I gave up on it because the WMF format was unpredictable when exported to
other applications. I would encourage you to experiment with the bmp() and
png() functions. If you specify a large enough value for width and height so
that the don't get re-scaled, then they will look just as good as the WMF
format.

If you like to tinker with a graph onscreen and then save it, you need to
open the graphics window at the "right" size so that the saved BMP or PNG
file does not need rescaling in Powerpoint. I hope this makes sense.
Graphics are tricky in any package.

Steve Simon, www.pmean.com