[R] Regularized Discriminant Analysis scores, anyone?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sun Jun 2 16:39:30 CEST 2013

On 02.06.2013 05:01, Matthew Fagan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am attempting to do Regularized Discriminant Analysis (RDA) on a large
> dataset, and I want to extract the RDA  discriminant score matrix.  But
> the predict function in the "klaR" package, unlike the predict function
> for LDA in the "MASS" package, doesn't seem to give me an option to
> extract the scores.  Any suggestions?

There are no such scores:

same as for qda, you do not follow the Fisher idea of the linear
discriminant components any more: Your space is now partitioned by
ellipsoid like structures based on the estimation of the inner-class
covariance matrices.

rda as implemented in klaR (see the reference given on the help page) is
a regularization that helps to overcome problems when estimating
non-singular covariance matrices for the separate classes.

> i have already tried (and failed; ran out of 16 GB of memory) to do this
> with the "rda" package: don't know why, but the klaR package seems to be
> much more efficient with memory.  I have included an example below:

The rda package provides a completely different regularization
technique, see the reference given on the help page.

Best,
Uwe Ligges